This method of wood decking material installation involves screwing the deck boards directly into the joists, and then hiding the screw holes with wood plugs.
1. Countersink 3/8" holes into face of deck boards.
2. Predrill 1/8" pilot holes completely through the deck boards.
3. Screw the deck boards down with stainless steel screws.
4. Glue wood plugs into the holes with waterproof glue (i.e. Epoxy, Gorilla Glue, etc.).
5. Knock off plug tops with a chisel.
6. Sand smooth with 80 grit sandpaper (a round orbit sander works great).